- September 2014
- Reinforced Cover
- ISBN Print
- ISBN eBook
K9 Schutzhund Training
A Manual for IPO Training through Positive Reinforcement
K9 Professional Training Series
This new edition provides a hands-on, practical approach to training your K9 for IPO levels 1, 2 and 3. Beginners will receive an excellent introduction to the sport of Schutzhund, while expert trainer will stay on top of their game with the latest techniques. Using proven methods rooted in classical and operant conditioning, Dr. Resi Gerritsen and Ruud Haak, world-renowned specialists in training working dogs, have developed this practical and positive Schutzhund training program. The excellent results trainers achieve through positive reinforcement prove the effectiveness of Resi and Ruud’s methods, which are based on more than 30 years of research and experience.
In Resi and Ruud’s definitive guide for modern Schutzhund training, you’ll find the advice and encouragement you need to help you succeed in the IPO trials. And the book’s rugged design is perfect for use in the field.
Learn how to:
- Implement a successful training program for the three phases of Schutzhund: tracking, obedience and protection.
- Use expert tips and advice for passing the IPO trials.
- Become a better trainer by understanding the theory behind the most effective K9 training techniques.
Table of Contents
Phase A: Tracking
1. Tracking basics
2. The different parts of tracking
3. Training with tracking equipment
4. Tracking with treats
5. Tracking with toys
Phase B: Obedience
6. Obedience basics
7. Obedience exercises
8. Basic position and off-leash heeling
9. Sit, down, and stand exercises
10. The retrieving exercises
11. Send out and down under distraction
Phase C: Protection
12. Protection work basics
13. The different parts of protection work
14. Advanced decoy techniques
15. Raising dogs for protection work
16. Training without a decoy
17. Building up the protection work